We continued our study of igneous rocks today. Here's a little of what we learned:
1. Igneous rocks are formed from cooled lava.
2. There are over 700 different kinds of igneous rock.
3. Igneous means heat or fire.
4. Some examples of igneous rock include granite, pumice, and tuff.
5. The town BASALT is also the name of in igneous rock. Crazy!
Police Puzzled After Drones Buzz Over Paris Landmarks
Today we became scientists! Yes! We used our observational skills to look at some igneous rocks. We took some guesses about how these cool rocks are formed. We're already experts because we could tell they are formed from lava. Did these rocks go on vacation to Hawaii? Did they jump in a can of soda and keep all the bubbles? Tomorrow we'll get more details. Stay tuned for our studies of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rock formations! We're pretty excited.
Turns out science is pretty cool. Look how focused we are!
In other scientific news...Leila's experiment turned out crazy. Look what happened when the pennies were overlapped at the bottom of the jar. We're going to try again with a bigger container. Science is trial and error kind of stuff.
Why would you ever need to know how long a fish is? Well, turns out we have a classroom full of fishing experts. You can only keep a fish that is over a certain length. These fish are called keepers. If you kept all the baby fish they would never grow big and lay eggs. Also, if you wanted to make dinner it would be better to just eat one big one rather than 10 little ones. Also, it's just plain against the law.
Leila is the scientist of the week. She came in wondering what would happen if you put dirty pennies in some coke. Here's what we thought:
1. The pennies will change color.
2. The pennies will turn green and grow algae.
3. The coke will get really bubbly.
4. The pennies will float.
5. The pennies will be suspended in the middle.
BRAIN BREAK! Can you guess which motions go with the following words:
ridiculous glittering stroke jovial hovering
Miss Lisa May is just the best. We love our afternoon visits with her. It would be really cool if Miss Kylie had bean bag chairs in her classroom too! Even if we forget our books we still get to browse and set aside our favorites on the save shelf.
How tall are you? Can you measure yourself in binders or cubes? How about paints and markers? What happens when you compare these units of measure? If Miss Kylie is 5 binders long and Jack P. is 84 cubes long, does that mean that Jack P. is 16 times taller than Miss Kylie? Yikes! Looks like it's time to use some rulers to figure this one out.
The coolest thing since sliced bread!
Kid Rex is a kid safe, kid friendly, and super cute internet search site. Let's get those curious kids researching and fact finding. Let's keep them reading and asking questions.
Can you work together with your friends to count Box Tops in groups of 10. It's trickier than it sounds. Today we counted up another 113 to add to our pile. Keep them coming!
What do you know about searching the internet? Today we discussed using keywords to find the facts you're looking for? We practiced by thinking about how to convince you all we need some new pets :) If we're going to take care of a pet we need to be experts. Check it out!
1. Guinea pigs drink water and eat grass hay and pellets.
2. Dogs and cats are both great pets because they are snuggle and can be trained. They are also great at living in houses with people. But dogs need more space to run around than cats.
3. Lobsters are not so much fun to play with.
4. Praying mantises and katydids are cool, but also not that much fun to play with.
5. Wombats are part of the marsupial family, like kangaroos.
How many times do you think you can write your name in 100 seconds? How many times can you actually write your name in 100 seconds? How long is 100 seconds?
Here's how our estimations compared to our actual results.
Would you rather have 100 pieces of candy or 100 apples? Why? Here are some of our reasons...
1. Apples are better because they are crunchy, delicious, juicy, and healthy.
2. Candy is better because there are many different kinds and it's fun to unwrap.
3. Apples are better because they won't give you cavities.
4. Candy is better because you can save 100 pieces of candy, but 100 apples would rot before you could eat them all.
5. Apples are better because they are sweet just like candy, but they won't give you a belly ache.
If you toss a coin one hundred times, how many times will you get heads? How many times will you get tails? It takes a while to flip a coin that many times so stay tuned for the results tomorrow.
I could look at 100 of these happy cross country skiing faces everyday!